- This event has passed.
WS+CFA: Responsibility for Beliefs (Helsinki)
9 June 2022–10 June 2022
Call for Abstracts
The Responsible Beliefs project at the University of Helsinki is happy to invite abstracts for a workshop on responsibility for beliefs (broadly construed). This two-day, in-person workshop aims to bring together philosophers working on the normativity of and responsibility for doxastic states from varying perspectives (e.g., epistemic, moral, prudential, etc.). Our keynote speakers will be Susan Wolf (UNC Chapel Hill) and Rik Peels (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam). (Other invited speakers may be added later.) The current plan is to organize the workshop in person in Helsinki, but there may be room for a few hybrid sessions. If there are significant changes to the Covid situation or international travel restrictions, the workshop may have to move online.
Possible questions that abstracts could address include (but are not limited to) the following:
- In what ways can we be responsible for our beliefs?
- How are epistemic justification and knowledge related to responsibility for beliefs?
- What is the difference between being epistemically responsible and being morally responsible for our beliefs?
- Do facts about epistemic responsibility influence facts about moral responsibility for beliefs, and vice versa?
- What does responsible believing minimally require?
- Can we be morally blameworthy or praiseworthy for our beliefs? Why?
- Are there distinctively epistemic kinds of praise and blame as a result of being epistemically responsible for our beliefs? What does it mean to be epistemically blameworthy or praiseworthy for our beliefs?
- Are there unique doxastic responsibilities in personal relationships?
Abstracts should be: (a) 750-1,000 words long, (b) prepared for anonymous review, and (c) suitable for a 30 minute presentation. We strongly encourage authors from underrepresented groups in philosophy to apply.
Please submit your abstracts via email to ResponsibilityForBeliefs@gmail.com by March 31, 2022. If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact project researchers Max Lewis (max.lewis at helsinki.fi) or Giulia Luvisotto (giulia.luvisotto at helsinki.fi).
- Submission deadline: March 31, 2022
- Decision of acceptance: April 15, 2022
- Workshop: June 9-10, 2022